What is Overseas Student Health Cover?
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) can help ensure you’ll be covered for the cost of medical treatments if you get sick or have an accident.
OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) is a mandatory health insurance for international students and the dependents in Australia. It is designed to minimise health-care expenses, also covering costs of prescription drugs and emergency ambulance services. It is to be noted that the health insurance needs to be purchased for the entire duration of the student visa while undertaking formal education in the country. In extreme cases, failing to have the required health cover can also lead to visa cancellation by the Australian Government (Department of Immigration and Citizenship). The OSHC insurers provide a range of products, which may range from limited services to comprehensive health cover.
- Overseas Visitor Cover (OVC) – For Visa 457 & 485
- Short Stay Visitors Cover – For working holiday and non-working visas, including 417, 462, 476, 600, 601 and others
PRIVILEGES OF THE OVERSEAS STUDENT HEALTH COVER:
The OSHC covers all the medically necessary assistance/treatment while the individual is in Australia on the student visa. The international student pursuing formal study in an Australian university/institution is entitled to,
- Free treatment as an inpatient or outpatient at a public hospital
- Access to subsidised medicines (Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme)
- Public/private hospital shared ward accommodation
- Day surgery accommodation
- Limited range of prosthetic devices
INSURERS OFFERING OSHC:
Overseas health cover as per the student visa requirements is provided by the following major insurers across Australia.
- Australian Health Management
- Allianz Global Assistance
- BUPA Australia
- Medibank Private
It can be renewed by simply contacting the OSHC insurance provider or the concerned university/college.
PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE:
In some cases, individuals might want to purchase a private health insurance to cover products which the OSHC doesn’t cover. These additional products include health services in dentistry, optics, physiotherapy and other allied health requirements. The suitability of a health cover primarily depends on the eligibility, benefits, funds, insurance policies and membership costs.
Your healthcare matters so you can focus on your studies.
- Meet Visa Requirements
- Protect yourself from the unexpected
- Unlimited emergency ambulance treatment by our recognised providers
- Convenience and peace of mind
Can you help with my health insurance?
Yes, Ferguson Migration & Education look after all your requirements as an International
Have Questions? Contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can to answer all your